As I embark on pursuing instructional design as my career choice, I have
enrolled in a Master of Creative Industries (Visual and Interactive Design) at
QUT. This degree appealed to me as it
included all the knowledge and skills, and then some, that I think I need to
become an effective, and up-to-date, instructional designer. My major concern is to be innovative as I
enjoy being cutting-edge but don’t just do the latest thing if it is not a
desirable way of learning, as too much “bling” can be distracting and
off-putting.
The Master of Creative Industries at QUT does not have
instructional design as its title but the subjects are all geared towards
instructional design, such as design thinking, using software such as Dreamweaver,
Adobe’s Illustrator, Photoshop and many others, as well as learning the fundamentals
of programming and technology. My only
concern is that the degree does not have the adult learning theories, such as
ADDIE and others that instructional designers use as their design framework. I am not too concerned about this as I have
enrolled in an instructional design course that teaches these theories and some
of the other fundamentals of instructional design. I also believe that I will be constructing
all my projects with eLearning in mind, and the design thinking subject will
incorporate these frameworks.
Another benefit of doing the degree in interaction design is
it will accentuate my already existing skills, such as creating and designing
online resources. I am currently
employed on a contractual basis by JCU to create and deliver online courses to
education students, from early childhood to secondary teachers. Although I already understand the need to
scaffold materials in an aesthetically pleasing format I believe that
interactive technologies will increasingly evolve to incorporate virtual
formats.
I have extensive teaching experience that will benefit my
masters and make me an asset to any educational environment, whether it is
government or business. Being an English
teacher of high school students has provided me the ability to be innovate and
adaptive. I found that my students
appreciated professional and attractive hard copy and online interfaces. I frequently used online platforms to teach
and store information for my students to access wherever they were.
One of major concerns is that the degree in interaction
design will have elements that are geared towards game developers or ICT
developers. I understand that it will be
challenging as I have not done programming before and identify it as a mathematical
way of thinking, which is not me. I love
words, not numbers. Nevertheless, what I
do possess is sheer will and tenacity.
This will drive me through programming or any other highly technical
aspects of the degree.
I will frequently post about my experience during my study
phase and beyond, and I hope that you will join me on this journey. Please feel free to comment below and share
your experiences, or ask any questions.
No comments:
Post a Comment