Pages

Sunday, 2 February 2014

Acquiring skills in instructional design

As the start date of my Master of Creative Industries approached I began to question its suitability for instructional designers.  I knew that it would provide me with technological skills but what it was missing was the educational theory, particularly in regards to adult learning, LMSs (Learning Management Systems) and all the other associated aspects of instruction.

I tried to contact QUTs Design department (and did send three emails) but no reply.  I asked for advice concerning the sutiability of the degree and hoped a relatively quick reply, perhaps naively, but still nothing a week later.  I did manage to speak to educators in the education department about doing an instructional design degree with QUT and one of the course coordinators said that she had never known anyone to study instructional design at the university.  This was dissapointing as perceived QUT as an innovative and practical university and thought it would be in line with the latest in teaching and learning.  Well, there you go.

I am now considering completing a Master of  Education (Knowledge Networks and Digital Innovation) with Charles Sturt University.  I had only heard of the university throughout my studies but the Master of Education is new and does say in the program guide that the course is for educators, such as those who are working in or want to work in "community and adult education, corporate, public, and not-for-profit organisations," or who want to become "ICT integrators; teacher educators and instructional designers."  It can be completed in one year full-time or two years part-time.

This time, in contrast to my previous attempt to find a suitable degree, I researched thoroughly and analysed the subjects and even the teachers who will be teaching the course.  The course does seem innovative as it covers emerging educational trends in global and comunity networked knowledge environments.  It also provides learning in knowledge networking, global information flow, advanced search techniques, learning analytics, social media, game-based learning, digital literature and learning spaces design.  Perhaps the biggest bonus for me is that it outlines how the degree enables educational practitioners to become leaders in 21st Century learning environments, which is definitely my goal.

One of my concerns is that two of the teachers, who I found through research about the degree and its development (the course even has a Facebook page dedicated to new students in 2014) are specialists within the traditional schooling environment, as far as I can tell from their educational credentials and publications.  I would feel better if they had experience within the corporate setting.  I want the option to be able to work for companies and organisations that require adult learning, and not to have the only option of working in the schooling environment.  For this reason I have contacted the course coordinator with advice about the course and its suitability.  I will keep you updated about how it goes.

My next goal is to continue researching my options and what is the best pathway.  I don't want to be too cautious but I do want to choose the education that is most suitable.  After all, the learning environment is changing so rapidly that anything that I do do will need to be cutting edge and highly adaptable.

No comments:

Post a Comment